Jun. 04, 2021
The Difference Between Ductile Iron And Cast Iron
Ductile iron vs cast iron
Ductile iron does not break when bent, while cast iron is fragile and easily breaks when bent.
Since ductile iron can be bent, it can be made into different shapes and forms. But people cannot use cast iron to distinguish different shapes and forms. Ductile iron has toughness, while cast iron does not.
When comparing the two, cast iron corrodes faster than ductile iron.
Ductile iron is composed of iron, carbon, silicon, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus and sulfur. Sometimes tin and copper can also be found. Ductile iron is also composed of nodular graphite, which makes it elastic. Cast iron is mainly composed of carbon and silicon.
In practical applications, ductile iron pipes are used for sewers and water pipes. This is because they are much stronger than cast iron. In addition, ductile iron is better than cast iron in difficult terrain.
Ductile iron is mainly used in the automotive industry, such as trucks, tractors and oil pumps. Cast iron is mainly found in the construction industry.
In 1943, Keith Millis discovered ductile iron. Cast iron has been used for centuries. China is believed to have invented cast iron in the 4th century BC. It was originally used to make weapons, pots, plows and pagodas. Westerners did not know about cast iron until the late 14th century.
The difference lies in the microstructure of iron. Cast iron pipes for water have been in use since the 17th century. Cast iron pipes are strong, but lack malleability, and are prone to mechanical damage during transportation and handling, which are manifested as fine cracks that are difficult to detect with the naked eye. In 1948, the development of ductile iron technology led to a revolution in the iron pipe and fittings industry. Ductile iron is produced with more refined raw materials. A controlled amount of magnesium alloy is added to the molten iron. This leads to a huge change in the microstructure of graphite, forming spheres instead of flakes, forming finer iron particles, making the iron ductile, making it stronger, tougher, and able to resist mechanical damage such as cracks and direct crushing.
1. Ductile iron can be bent without breaking.
2. Cast iron is very brittle and will break when bent.
3. Ductile iron has toughness, while cast iron does not.
4. Since ductile iron can be bent, it can be made into different shapes and forms. Different shapes and forms cannot be distinguished with cast iron.
5. Cast iron corrodes faster than ductile iron.
6. Ductile iron is mainly used in the automobile industry, such as trucks, tractors and oil pumps. Cast iron is mainly found in the construction industry.
7. Ductile iron is composed of nodular graphite, which makes it elastic.
8. In 1943, Keith Millis discovered ductile iron. China is believed to have invented cast iron in the 4th century BC.
We are ductile iron pipe suppliers. If you are interested in our products, please feel free to contact us.